Friday, July 11, 2014

"The Fault In Our Stars" Movie Review


This review is definitely a bit late, but better late than never right?

Right.




     I do not really have anything bad to say about the movie adaptation of "The Fault In Our Stars".   I feel that overall it was a great movie and that it did stand up well next to the book (which probably had a great deal to do with John Green, the author, being involved in the movie making process).  While I am sure there were parts left out or shortened up to fit within the time constraints of the film, nothing huge jumped out at me as did with the "Divergent" adaptation.

    Now, what did surprise me about the movie is that, wait for it..... I DIDN'T CRY.  Yep thats right, not a tear was shed on my part.  This is not to say that the movie did not do a satisfactory job of conveying the emotions that it was meant to, because it did.  Especially if you judge the emotional impact of the movie by the heaving sobs of the woman who was seated a few seats down from me in the theater.  I was very surprised that I did notary witching the movie as I did cry while reading the book. I think my lack of waterworks was primarily due to the fact that I am not someone who cries easily, as well as since I had read the book, I knew what was going to happen and was prepared for it ( don't worry if you haven't seen the book/movie I won't spoil it for you).

     I think the movie was well done and the casting didn't bother me as much as I thought it would with Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort having portrayed siblings in the "Divergent" movie.  It was done in kind of a chick-flick manner which I really am not a fan of, I wish it had been a bit less sappy(not sure if thats the word I'm looking for, but it will have to do), but that really just comes along with the nature of the book it was based off of. If I had not read the book, I don't think I would have ever ended up seeing the movie as I am not a chick-flick enthusiast, but overall the movie was good and didn't disappoint me when compared to the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment