Friday, July 25, 2014

"Hollow City" Jacob's Adventure Continues


THIS POST CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR THE FIRST BOOK


     "Hollow City" is the second book in the "Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children" series written by Ransom Riggs.  The book picks up where "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" left off and follows the children's adventures.   

     They are on a quest to find another Ymbryne to turn Miss Peregrine back to her human form before she is stuck as a bird permanently.  The kids all work together, combining their skills to overcome obstacles they encounter along the way.  This book centers around their mission to find a Ymbryne and the steps they must take to do so, which includes traveling through time loops and encountering the historical turmoils that occur during the time of each loop (think all the horrors that were World War II).
    
     To be completely honest, I preferred the first book of the series, and did not enjoy reading this one as much.  While it was a decent book, it did not hold my interest as much as the first book did (once I got into the plot of the first book that is).  

     I think my major issue with this book was that it was all about getting Miss Peregrine switched back and the process seemed incredibly long and drawn out.  Don't get me wrong, there was plenty of other things happening in the book such as defeating Wights and Hollows, but I felt that the plot could have progressed so much further within this installment of the series if switching Miss Peregrine back did not take so long.  However because of a major issue that occurs when Miss Peregrine(or the bird the children thought was Miss Peregrine) is eventually turned back to her human form, leads to a cliff hanger at the end of the book I understand the choice to draw out the changing of 'Miss Peregrine.'  Seeing where Riggs takes the plot in the third book will most likely make his plot choices for this book much clearer.

     This all being said, if you read and enjoyed the first installment in the series, I would recommend reading this book as well.  I know I will be reading the third book when it is released so that I can find out what happens to the children, I am far too invested in the characters to not read the next book.  Let me know what you thought of the book, if you have read it, down below!

No comments:

Post a Comment