Wednesday, March 19, 2014

"Allegiant" From Tris to Four and Back Again

This Post has Divergent and Insurgent Spoilers


     “Allegiant” is the third and final book in the “Divergent” series written by Veronica Roth. While a overall good read, I felt a tad let down by this installment in the trilogy.
   
     This book begins where “Insurgent” left off, with the Edith Prior video having been seen and the characters and readers knowing that those who are Divergent are meant to venture outside of the fence and into the world. “Allegiant” follows those who leave the confines of the fence into the outside world as they discover how their city was made and what has gone on in the world.
   
     The novel is written in a different fashion than the first two books, with “Allegiant” being told from both Tris and Four's perspectives. I felt that this was not very necessary as their viewpoints were not all that different until about the middle of the book. Therefore, although the chapters were labeled with whose perspective it was, I was confused a bit in the beginning in a “Wait who's narrating now?” type of way.
   
     In my opinion “Allegiant” moves at a much slower pace than the previous two books did, but once it picked up speed toward the end, things got quite interesting. If you have read and enjoyed “Divergent” and “Insurgent” I would recommend that you read “Allegiant,” however, I do feel that the first two books pulled me in a bit more.
   
     Next week there will be a post chock-full of spoilers explaining my feelings on the trilogy as a whole and my reaction to the end of “Allegiant” as it left me feeling a bit uneasy.
   
     Also, this weekend I will have a review of the “Divergent” movie! The trailers have made me feel pretty good about how the movie will compare to the book but we'll see how it all goes down this Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment